Ah, hockey!
It's already cold up here, had our first brief flurries the other week. Yick! But hockey started 2 months ago, is in full swing now! By Tuesday Bugsy will have been on the ice 5 days out of 7, and he thinks this is a very good thing!
He started wanting to be a goalie last year, but waited till too late in the season, the team had already settled on a goalie. But he spent literally *hours* throwing a tennis ball up the stairs and catching it on the way back down, all in the name of hand-eye coordination. And I bought him some street hockey goalie stuff, which he used all summer, every chance he got.
His best friend's dad was one of the rep coaches, suggested Bugsy try out for Rep. I made it quite clear to Bugsy going in that his chances were waaay slim, given how little experience he had, but that the ice time would be great. He had a blast trying out! After a couple of tryouts, they suggested he might want to come as a regular skater. Told them I'd already talked to him, that he didn't want to try out for Rep as a regular skater. He'd rather go back to House League and learn how to be a goalie properly, because a goalie was what he wanted to be. I was so proud of him, for knowing his mind, and being willing to pass up on the immediate gratification of making the team in order to get what he wanted!
His House League coach is fantastic. We live in a small village, everyone knows everyone, I love that. As soon as I heard he'd be coaching I asked him to pick Bugsy. We actually play in the nearest town, we're not big enough for an ice rink. But his coach tries to get all the local kids, it's fun for them to all play together rather than being spread out throughout the other teams. I talked to him about Bugsy's determination to be a goalie, and he liked what he saw, has already decided on having Bugsy as team goalie. Still giving lots of other kids the chance to have a turn, but Bugsy will be the regular goalie, especially once the regular season starts.
They also have something called Select hockey. It's for House League players who want a little something more. They play other Select teams, and the occasional tournament. There were tryouts for it, just like for Rep. We decided to try Bugsy out for goalie again, since he'd had lots of ice time since mid September. And he made it as one of the team's two goalies! They'll both dress for each game, and split the playing time. Too kewl! He's beyond thrilled, and I'm so proud of him.
So now we have a House League practice a week, a Select practice a week, a House League game a week, and two Select games a month. That's called living, breathing hockey! But we did this last year too, he totally loves it!
And Saturday he was in net for House League, scored his very first shutout ever. Sniff, proud hockey mum!
Here's a pic of him in net!
It's already cold up here, had our first brief flurries the other week. Yick! But hockey started 2 months ago, is in full swing now! By Tuesday Bugsy will have been on the ice 5 days out of 7, and he thinks this is a very good thing!
He started wanting to be a goalie last year, but waited till too late in the season, the team had already settled on a goalie. But he spent literally *hours* throwing a tennis ball up the stairs and catching it on the way back down, all in the name of hand-eye coordination. And I bought him some street hockey goalie stuff, which he used all summer, every chance he got.
His best friend's dad was one of the rep coaches, suggested Bugsy try out for Rep. I made it quite clear to Bugsy going in that his chances were waaay slim, given how little experience he had, but that the ice time would be great. He had a blast trying out! After a couple of tryouts, they suggested he might want to come as a regular skater. Told them I'd already talked to him, that he didn't want to try out for Rep as a regular skater. He'd rather go back to House League and learn how to be a goalie properly, because a goalie was what he wanted to be. I was so proud of him, for knowing his mind, and being willing to pass up on the immediate gratification of making the team in order to get what he wanted!
His House League coach is fantastic. We live in a small village, everyone knows everyone, I love that. As soon as I heard he'd be coaching I asked him to pick Bugsy. We actually play in the nearest town, we're not big enough for an ice rink. But his coach tries to get all the local kids, it's fun for them to all play together rather than being spread out throughout the other teams. I talked to him about Bugsy's determination to be a goalie, and he liked what he saw, has already decided on having Bugsy as team goalie. Still giving lots of other kids the chance to have a turn, but Bugsy will be the regular goalie, especially once the regular season starts.
They also have something called Select hockey. It's for House League players who want a little something more. They play other Select teams, and the occasional tournament. There were tryouts for it, just like for Rep. We decided to try Bugsy out for goalie again, since he'd had lots of ice time since mid September. And he made it as one of the team's two goalies! They'll both dress for each game, and split the playing time. Too kewl! He's beyond thrilled, and I'm so proud of him.
So now we have a House League practice a week, a Select practice a week, a House League game a week, and two Select games a month. That's called living, breathing hockey! But we did this last year too, he totally loves it!
And Saturday he was in net for House League, scored his very first shutout ever. Sniff, proud hockey mum!
Here's a pic of him in net!





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home