Mellykat's Blog!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Dislocation, again!

Bugsy dislocated his pinky at hockey camp this afternoon. Not playing hockey, but rather playing dodgeball. You know the 5 Ds of dodgeball? Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. Well, he dove. And jammed his pinky into the floor, dislocating it. They weren't sure if it was just dislocated, or broken too, so they sent us to Emerg for an x-ray. Three hours later we found out it was only dislocated. Bugsy did NOT want them to reset it, started crying and getting almost hysterical, saying "I want the chemicals!"



When he dislocated his thumb last Spring, they gave him good drugs. He had stood 5 hours of pain waiting for them to decide on his pinky, but tell him he has to face more pain and he freaks. We gave him a choice between resetting it cold, or freezing it first. He couldn't choose, so I decided on the needle. We knew that would hurt too, but only for 30 seconds, 15 for each side of the freezing. So we had him pinned down, trying to get him to count to distract, but we only made it to 15 as his finger just slipped back into place during the freezing process.



Funny, the nurse in Triage commented that sick as it sounded, it would be neat to have a picture of his pinky. I laughed and agreed with her, and then remembered I had my camera in my diaper bag. So out it came, and I took the above pics in Triage while he was being processed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home