Mellykat's Blog!

Friday, October 21, 2005

Wow, where did that go?!

That being a lot of things, lol! The last 2 months ... it's flown! Meant to write about Bugsy's new school, Bella and grade 1 ... guess this could be a long entry! The last year ... I can't *believe* my baby is almost 1!!!

School adjustments for Bugsy have been interesting. He spent the week before school started begging me not to send him to the new school. I alternated between annoyance at him trying to change something that wouldn't change, and guilt at forcing him to leave all his friends. Not that I shared any of these feelings with him, I was patient and reassuring and supportive. Frustrating though that kids don't see the big picture, and realize what an amazing opportunity they have ... I hope he'll look back later and appreciate it. I would have been thrilled to have what he has!

First day was good though, the three local kids he knew took him in under their wing, introduced him to their friends. He has a core group of 5, and is making a few friends in his class outside that group. I especially brought up the social aspect with his teacher at the open house, and realizing how much it meant to Bugsy, she said she'd try and make opportunities for him to make more friends. Funny, he still gets nervous every Monday, when faced with a new week at school! But he enjoys the classes, definitely has fun at school.

The first contract was a challenge, I anticipated it would be. Fun. Bugsy and I spent 3 hours one evening trying to create 8 imaginary historical events that might have existed in his island's timeline. He just could *not* come up with stuff. I suggested tons of different things, he balked, kept wanting to make sure it was "right". Finally had him look at some of the significant stuff happening on his island, think of how it might have originated, and some events. Three hours. And we only got 7 events and dates. This from a kid who usually has a ton of imagination. I emailed his teacher, to see if she could check out how on track he was with his project, and see if she could reassure him (and me!) a bit. Requested a meeting too. Afterwards we cuddled in my bed a bit and chatted about the project in general, and organization and how something so big can be overwhelming. Knowing that I have the same reaction to big projects was an eye opener for him, and we had a good talk. He got a ton of stuff accomplished the next day, including coming up with his 8th event. A conflict between the natives, and dragons. Now *that* was more like the Bugsy I know! The meeting with his teacher was good, she tried to give him some coping strategies, including the fact he could always ask her for help. The project was due this week, and he finished it, just fine!

Bella's loving grade 1. She's with a bevy of her friends, though she still worries about having enough friends, and who she's playing with at recess. She seems to be doing pretty well from what I see. I'm her Spark leader this year, which has been fun. We have *eighteen* five and 6 yo girls. My word, they can shriek! I'm enjoying it though, they're a good bunch.

Funny how different siblings can be though. Bugsy was asking to be taught to read at 4.5, which I belive is about when Bella finally got around to learning to write her name. Never really interested in learning the alphabet, finally knew most of it by the end of kindergarten. She has a great grade 1 teacher, who thinks she's the sweetest thing and loves the detail she puts into her artwork. A teacher who's supposed to be really good at working with reading, which I suspect is why she was placed with her. But still, she's been identified as needing extra help, so is pulled out for 15 mins a week to work with one of her friends moms (a teacher) on reading. I think only once a week, will have to ask at interviews. She's definitely picking up on reading, but at a different pace than Bugsy did.

She had her birthday last week, party too. My little girl is 6! We went to Michaels and painted tic tac toe boxes. Lots of fun! All the girls had a blast with their craft.







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was browsing the web, hoping to find more information on and came across your "this post" post.

It wasnt exactly what i needed, though did provide a good read nonetheless. I will be visiting your blog again to see what other information you will share on .

Thanks, K, for a great read!

7:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home