Mellykat's Blog!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Looking for a change.

Trying to. With not much luck actually. I've been doing computer support for the last 20 years, and I've had enough. Wanted something new to take me through the next 20 years. Since I've been layed off I thought this was the perfect opportunity to change. Was seriously considering going back to school to be an electrician. Until I met with a government employment counsellor.

"Skills Canada doesn't care if you don't like your job, of if it's earning significantly less than you were earning. All they care is that you're employable, and that you get a job asap."

Pretty much what I got. The electrician thing is waaay too much of a change, and since it's a co-op thing just absolutely no way they'd consider it. I can look for web or graphic design jobs, and if I can't get hired for any of those due to lack of skill, since it was part of my last job they might retrain me for something like that. Hmph. And the web stuff I've been looking at, it's all high-end java programming stuff. I just want to put PAGES together! I did find some technical writer positions that might appeal. Not that I have the experience for that either, though documentation was a part of my job too.

Now I have to think some more.

2 Comments:

Blogger ©Jac said...

I hope you find something you LOVE!

10:45 p.m.  
Blogger Angel said...

{{HUGS}} Hang in there sweetie - you'll find something...

2:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home